Please note: With the activation of multi-factor authentication and Microsoft’s new “modern authentication” protocol, an app password may need to be used instead of your actual password. This may vary depending on the email app used on your Android device. To create an app password, click here.
Due to the nature of Android, this setup can vary based on your specific device, manufacturer, mobile carrier, Android software version, device country of origin and email app.
Many devices running Android 4.4 KitKat or higher autocomplete the setup, but some don’t. Most devices running an earlier version of Android will require a fairly manual setup. The screenshots in this tutorial were taken on a Google Play Edition HTC One from WIND.
This article contains:
Add your email with MFA enabled
Please note: This method only works if the email client supports Microsoft's modern authentication.
Step 1: Launch your email app.
Step 2: Click “Add account”.
Step 3: Choose the email provider. Tap “Exchange and/or Office365”. On some devices, the options listed will differ.
- If Office365 is available and you are redirected to "Microsoft Sign In" login, you may continue with Step 4.
- If you do not get redirected, you are asked to enter your email and password, you will need to continue with the app password method using "Exchange". Click here to continue with app password instructions.
Step 4: Continue with the login. Enter your username and password.
Step 5: You will receive an “Approve sign in request”. This is the MFA method you’ve setup for approval.
Step 6: Press "Accept" to allow permissions.
Step 7: Enable and disable features you would like to use and tap "Done".
Step 8: Finally, you should see an “Activate the device admin app”. Tap “Activate” to continue. That completes the setup, launch the “Email” app from your App Drawer to check your Michener Email account.
Add your email with an App Password
Step 1: First, tap the “Settings” icon in your App Drawer.
Step 2: Scroll down to “Accounts” and tap “+ Add Account”.
Step 3: Tap “Exchange”. On some devices, this option will be labeled something along the lines of “Microsoft® Exchange ActiveSync”.
Step 4: Enter your full Michener email address and "app password", and tap “Next”.
Step 5: Your device will either automatically complete setup at this point, or ask for more information. If it requests more information, change the “Server” field to “outlook.office365.com”. Tap “Next”.
Step 6: If setup completed successfully, you should then see a “Remote security administration” warning. Tap “OK” to continue.
Step 7: On this page, you can choose the length of time email stays on your device from the “Days to Sync” dropdown menu. Leave everything else as default, and tap “Next”.
Step 8: Finally, you should see an “Activate device administrator screen”. Tap “Activate” to continue. That completes the setup, launch the “Email” app from your App Drawer to check your Michener Email account.
1. What do I do if I keep getting "Your username or password is incorrect"?
- If this is happening occasionally, you'll need to enter your app password instead of your actually email password. Click here for instructions to create an app password.
2. I can't add my email using the app password.
- Depending on your location, you might need to setup your account manually. Here is the info required:
- Description: Michener
- Domain\Username: <username>@michener.ca
- Email Address: <username>@michener.ca
- Password: <Your app password>
- Server Address: office365.outlook.com
- Security Type: Leave as default, should be SSL/TLS
- Port: Leave as default, should be 443.
3. I'm still having trouble, what should I do?
- If you have any trouble with these instructions or are unable to complete setup for any reason, please contact the Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can guide you through the process, or bring your phone to the Helpdesk at Room 525 and we can assist in-person.